Mom's Favorite White Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Pour into two greased 6-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine topping mix and milk. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Beat in jam and melted chips until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until frosting achieves a spreading consistency.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup frosting with strawberries and pineapple. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Favorite White Cake(14)
Sort By :
Around 10 yrs ago my daughter found this recipe in a magazine and made this cake for me on Mother's Day. It became a family favorite. She recently relocated and I will now learn to make it myself. Is the best cake I've ever tasted!!!!!!
I made this for my daughter's. Birthday. I had made four batter for a two tiered square cake. I doubled the recipe twice. I even baked them In glass baking dish. The cake came out awesome. It was moist and sweet. I made this cake with Wilton's buttercream icing recipe. I made a hello Kitty cake. I had nothing but great compliments on this cake. Kudos to the mom who blogged this recipe. This will be my go to recipe for now on. I love to bake and I am always looking for the best recipes. This is one for white cake.would recommends to everyone who is good at baking.
i loved it, it was so yummy i would make it 1,0000000 times more
I madethe recipe as written for the 6" cake and liked it so much that I used 2.5 times the recipe for a double-layer 8" cake. All the guests commented on how great the cake tasted. I made sure to let all ingredients come to room temp. before starting, I used only the egg yolks and cake flour per the recipe. I greased the pans and used a wax paper circle on the bottom. I also used a wet strip of newspaper wrapped in tinfoil to insulate around the pan and help it bake more evenly and avoid the "high middle, low sides" problem.
There is something missing in the ingredient list for this cake. It turned out bitter, like baking powder and after taking it out of the oven, when it cooled off, it shrunk about 2 1/2 inches in height. This is definitely not a Taste of Home "Kitchen-Tested" Recipe. Might as well throw this one in the trash.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Desserts for Two >