Mom's Favorite White Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Pour into two greased 6-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt vanilla chips; stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine topping mix and milk. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Beat in jam and melted chips until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until frosting achieves a spreading consistency.
- 4. For filling, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup frosting with strawberries and pineapple. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 502 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Favorite White Cake
"SOMEONE WHO TRIED IT, PLEASE REPLY ASAP!Okay so i have never made a cake from scratch before but i have to make 2 by this upcoming Monday, i would like to know if i could just make the cake in a 13x9 pan and not add the frosting or filling because im gonna cover it with buttercream icing"
"This is now MY Favorite White Cake. I doubled the recipe for two 10-inch round pans and made a homemade fudge frosting for my husband's birthday. He told me to make sure I don't lose the recipe. I was surprised to find that it cooked in only 19 minutes."
"Diana check two things. The age of your baking powder and the temperature of your oven. Old baking powder will cause a cake to fall every time. Also, an inaccurate oven temperature will cause serious issues with the rise.Sue StetzelField Editor Manager"
"I made this cake twice and both times it collapsed. I followed the recipe completely and it still collapsed in the oven. Can anyone please help me figure out why this would happen. I really want to try it again but am scared it will collapse again please if u know what I am doing wrong please let me know. Thank you"
"This is the best cake ever...we love it."
"I baked this in an 8 inch square cake pan for twenty minutes and it went well. Good cake; I will definitely make this again."
"This is a great cake! Very light and fluffy! I doubled it to make a 9x13 and added a tablespoon of lemon zest and a teaspoon of lemon juice to make a lemon cake. Wonderful! I am going to use this recipe for my sister-in-law's wedding cake."
"Around 10 yrs ago my daughter found this recipe in a magazine and made this cake for me on Mother's Day. It became a family favorite. She recently relocated and I will now learn to make it myself. Is the best cake I've ever tasted!!!!!!"
"I made this for my daughter's. Birthday. I had made four batter for a two tiered square cake. I doubled the recipe twice. I even baked them In glass baking dish. The cake came out awesome. It was moist and sweet. I made this cake with Wilton's buttercream icing recipe. I made a hello Kitty cake. I had nothing but great compliments on this cake. Kudos to the mom who blogged this recipe. This will be my go to recipe for now on. I love to bake and I am always looking for the best recipes. This is one for white cake.would recommends to everyone who is good at baking."
"i loved it, it was so yummy i would make it 1,0000000 times more"
"I madethe recipe as written for the 6" cake and liked it so much that I used 2.5 times the recipe for a double-layer 8" cake. All the guests commented on how great the cake tasted. I made sure to let all ingredients come to room temp. before starting, I used only the egg yolks and cake flour per the recipe. I greased the pans and used a wax paper circle on the bottom. I also used a wet strip of newspaper wrapped in tinfoil to insulate around the pan and help it bake more evenly and avoid the "high middle, low sides" problem."
"There is something missing in the ingredient list for this cake. It turned out bitter, like baking powder and after taking it out of the oven, when it cooled off, it shrunk about 2 1/2 inches in height. This is definitely not a Taste of Home "Kitchen-Tested" Recipe. Might as well throw this one in the trash."
"I used this exact recipe for cupcakes and they were the absolute BEST cupcakes I have ever made! Moist and flavorful, this recipe has become my new secret go-to recipe! :)"
"please include pan sizes and how to treat pans(lightly greased, lined in parchment or wax paper, etc) with the directions. I would substitute the crushed pineapple when making it."
"Using a 6" cake pan and following the recipe as is, this cake was wonderful and very pretty when finished. It was moist and delightful. If everyone would simply follow the recipe as stated they would be as delighted as others who actually follow recipes as printed. I will definitely make this recipe again and again...Love it!"
"Why the odd sized pan? Eight or nine inches is standard so I do not see why the measurements don't accomodate that."
"I have made this cake a few times, and each one turned out great. I would recommend not tweeking the recipe to fit your cake pans. You can find 6 inch cake pans easily on the internet and they are very inexpensive (and worth the purchase just to make this cake). This cake is moist, delicious and tender. Try it!"
"I wasn't impressed with this cake at all. First of all, who has 6" cake pans? I increased it by 1/2 and used 9" pans, but the cake was a little dry on the inside. There are too many other recipes to try to make this one again."
"My cake didn't rise like the cake in the picture at all."
"White cake is a delicious cake that I thoroughly enjoy. The only change I'd make would be to cover it in strawberries, as I love strawberry shortcake and this cake would do just fine as one."
"Ican't eat strawberries so I used blueberries"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.