Mom's Easy Bean Bake Recipe
"My mom's baked beans are the best I've ever tasted!" contends field editor Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
- 2-1/2 cups dried great northern beans (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. Return beans to pan. Cover with fresh water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- 3. Drain, reserving liquid. Combine beans, 1 cup liquid and remaining ingredients in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally (add additional reserved liquid if needed). Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 348 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 493 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC