"My mom's baked beans are the best I've ever tasted!" contends field editor Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
- 2-1/2 cups dried great northern beans (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to pan. Cover with fresh water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid. Combine beans, 1 cup liquid and remaining ingredients in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally (add additional reserved liquid if needed). Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Easy Bean Bake in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p45
Reviews for Mom's Easy Bean Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2011
"I followed the recipe exactly and it was yummy. If you like sweet baked beans, this is the recipe for you."