- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 5 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 4 large onions, chopped (6 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 12 hoagie buns or other sandwich rolls, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except buns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until desired consistency and flavors are blended, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Dynamite Sandwiches
"Oh my, craftyroger, that is nothing like the recipe posted. I'm from Woonsocket, RI also, like the poster. The recipe posted is all cooked together to make sort of a sauce that's served on crusty rolls. They are delicious! Wish I could post a pic to show how they look all put together."
"Great and easy recipe. I tweeked it though using the ground beef and adding garlic and onion powder, wistashear sauce italian bread crumbs eggs and rolled them into a hotdog like meatball. Cooked them in oven then added them to the sauce to simmer away. Also the sauce is a simple larg e can of Hunts tomoto sauce with garlic and onion powder, chile powder, small amount of pepper flakes salt pepper and sugar. Youll want to make these all the time. For exact ingrediants email me."