Mom's Custard Pie
Just a single bite of this traditional treat takes me back to the days when Mom would fix this pie for Dad, Grandfather and me. Mom also regularly prepared pies for large gatherings. This dessert was often requested.
-Barbara Hyatt, Folsom, California
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty
- foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes
- longer. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Separate one egg; set the white aside. In a small bowl, beat the yolk
- and remaining eggs just until combined. Blend in the sugar, salt and
- vanilla. Stir in milk. Beat reserved egg white until stiff peaks
- form; fold into egg mixture.
- Carefully pour into crust. Cover edges of pie with foil. Bake at
- 350° for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or
- until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a
- wire rack. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 254 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium,