- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Separate one egg; set the white aside. In a small bowl, beat the yolk and remaining eggs just until combined. Blend in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in milk. Beat reserved egg white until stiff peaks form; fold into egg mixture.
- Carefully pour into crust. Cover edges of pie with foil. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Custard Pie
Sort By :
"Dont get it, it calls for 1 pie shell. The mixture did not fit in one 9" pie crust. Also could not fold in the stiff egg white.....am I missing something here? Are you suppose to do this over the stove? Whats the secrete cuz I followed the recipe as stated."
"I am 77 and made this pie today. It turned out fabulous. I will be making it again real soon. Easy to make and delicious."
"SO FAR ITS IN THE OVEN AND I HAVE A GRANDDAUGHTER TEN WAITIING PATIENTLY. LOL WILL UPDATE MY REVIEW AFTER WE TASTE IT."
"Made this pie today thanksgiving morning. It set when it sat out of the oven and it was DELICIOUS"
"I was looking for a good custard pie recipe where the crust wouldn't get all soggy as it sat, This recipe was delicious and my family keeps asking when will I make it again."