Mom's Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, carrots and celery seed. Place the remaining ingredients in a blender; cover and process until combined. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Coleslaw(7)
Sort By :
The dressing is a very refreshing change from mayo-based coleslaw dressing, and this keeps very well in the refrigerator. I halved the dressing ingredients, which made the perfect amount of dressing for a bag of coleslaw mix.
I've made this several times and everyone loves it, its a nice tasty change from the mayo slaw.
I used 1/2 the oil and sugar. I used olive oil and cider vinegar because that is all I had. It tastes pretty good. I will make it again.
I have made this time and time again. Everyone who has tried it comes back for seconds. It's definitely a keeper.
I often make this for potlucks. Even some people that claim they don't care for slaw like this! I don't care for mayo and this recipe still gives you that creamy dressing w/o the mayo. This is definitely a keeper!