Mom's Clam Chowder Recipe
When we lived in Michigan, this was a perfect comforting soup when blustery winds blew into town. The steaming bowls of soup warmed up icy toes just right!—Christine Schenher, San Clemente, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:11 servings
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onion, celery, carrot and green pepper in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add the remaining butter; cook until melted. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
- 2. Gradually stir in the broth, clam juice, potato and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring frequently.
- 3. Add the cream, clams and milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 266 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 927 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC