Mom's Cinnamon-Apple Crisp
I was fortunate enough to have a dear friend share this recipe with me more than 50 years ago. The sweet-smelling combination of apples, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg has been a welcome scent in my house ever since. —Cleo Lightfoot, Southlake, Texas
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Combine the apples, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; dot with butter.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in
- another large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in egg just until moistened; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until topping is
- golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream if
- desired. Yield: 9 servings.