Mom's Cinnamon-Apple Crisp Recipe
I was fortunate enough to have a dear friend share this recipe with me more than 50 years ago. The sweet-smelling combination of apples, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg has been a welcome scent in my house ever since. —Cleo Lightfoot, Southlake, Texas
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. Combine the apples, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; dot with butter.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg in another large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg just until moistened; sprinkle over filling.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC