Mom's Chocolate Cake Recipe
Over the years, Mother has become known for wonderful homemade desserts like this old-fashioned chocolate cake. It was difficult, but my brothers and I always managed to save room for dessert. -Linda McGinty, Parma, Ohio
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- COCOA FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a small bowl, stir chocolate in boiling water until melted; cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolks and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Gradually beat in water, nuts and vanilla.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- 4. In a bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; gradually add to butter with vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 445 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC