Mom's Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- COCOA FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a small bowl, stir chocolate in boiling water until melted; cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolks and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Gradually beat in water, nuts and vanilla.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- 4. In a bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; gradually add to butter with vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 445 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Mom's Chocolate Cake
"I make this frosting recipe VERY often! In fact, we just moved and I can't find my cookbook, so I had to hunt for it here! I do adapt it slightly, adding more cocoa in place of some of the sugar. Dahling, it's MAHVELOUS! :)"