- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- COCOA FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl, stir chocolate in boiling water until melted; cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolks and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Gradually beat in water, nuts and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- In a bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; gradually add to butter with vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Chocolate Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p35
Reviews for Mom's Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2011
"I make this frosting recipe VERY often! In fact, we just moved and I can't find my cookbook, so I had to hunt for it here! I do adapt it slightly, adding more cocoa in place of some of the sugar. Dahling, it's MAHVELOUS! :)"