Over the years, Mother has become known for wonderful homemade desserts like this old-fashioned chocolate cake. It was difficult, but my brothers and I always managed to save room for dessert. -Linda McGinty, Parma, Ohio
Featured In: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- COCOA FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl, stir chocolate in boiling water until melted; cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolks and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Gradually beat in water, nuts and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- In a bowl, cream butter. Combine sugar and cocoa; gradually add to butter with vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Chocolate Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p35
Reviews for Mom's Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2011
"I make this frosting recipe VERY often! In fact, we just moved and I can't find my cookbook, so I had to hunt for it here! I do adapt it slightly, adding more cocoa in place of some of the sugar. Dahling, it's MAHVELOUS! :)"