- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 to 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°. For streusel, in a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve half of the streusel for topping. Stir cinnamon and remaining sugar into remaining streusel.
- Unroll crescent dough into one long rectangle; press perforations to seal. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and cinnamon mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Fold roll in half lengthwise; transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with reserved streusel.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Mom's Chocolate Bread
"Terrible toooo... much cinnamon, usually I double cinnamon in recipes, wish I would have trusted my gut on this and used 3 tsp. instead. Also I wish I would have used mini chocolate chips and cut down to 1/2 cup another thing I usually add extra of."
"Easy and tasty."
"This was terrible. My husband was the only one of the 4 of us who liked it enough to eat it but he complained that it was weird. I tossed half of it out. I did not add all for the cinnamon sugar mixture that the recipe called for because it was clearly too much. I used about 2/3s of it and it was still way too much."
"The overwhelming chocolate and cinnamon taste in this bread was just too, too much for me and my chocoholic daughter. The taste of the crescent rolls themselves was completely absent due to the filling's dominate taste. IF (a big if) I were to make this again, I'd cut the filling in half so as to enjoy just a tiny bit of the bread texture and taste. Also be aware that it barely rises to fill a loaf pain. Just a so-so recipe in contrast to all the good bread recipes available."
"Guess I did it wrong. Does the rectangle come out with triangles two across and 4 long? Not much to work with to roll up jelly roll style. Mine did not press and stay together and ended up falling apart and just lumped in the pan in a heap."