Mom's Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 chicken (about 2-1/2 to 3 pounds) with giblets, quartered
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 6 celery ribs, (leaves reserved), divided
- 6 medium carrots, divided
- 2 cups cooked rice or cooked fine egg noodles
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. Place the chicken, giblets, water, salt, onion, peppercorns, three celery ribs, all the celery leaves and three carrots in a soup kettle. Bring to a boil. Skim off the foam. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat. Discard cooked vegetables and peppercorns. Strain stock if desired.
- 2. Chill stock, then skim fat. Dice remaining celery and carrots; add to the stock. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, remove chicken from the bones and dice. Add chicken, cooked rice or noodles and parsley. Heat through. Stir in food coloring if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 cup: 158 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Chicken Soup
"excellant and easy!!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.