Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken in water; cool slightly. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Skim fat from broth. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to broth with remaining ingredients except noodles. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, for noodles, place flour in a small bowl and make a well in the center. Stir together remaining ingredients; pour into well. Working the mixture with your hands, form a dough. Knead for 5-6 minutes.
- 3. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a floured surface, roll dough out to a square, 1/16 to 1/8 in. thick, and cut into 1/4-in.-wide strips. Cook noodles in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until done. Drain and add to soup just before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 429 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1,012 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.