Mom's Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
At home in Utica, New York, Cheri Sassman smothers chicken breast halves in a delicious tomato-mushroom cream sauce. "This recipe was a favorite of my mother’s that I cut in half for myself,“ says Cheri.
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried thyme, parsley flakes and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in remaining oil. Stir in tomato paste until combined. Gradually add water and wine or broth. Stir in the thyme, parsley, oregano, allspice and remaining salt. Return chicken to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Serve with spaghetti if desired Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Chicken Cacciatore in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p20
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Chicken Cacciatore(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Cacciatore >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Pasta >
- Chicken Pasta Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >