Mom's Chicken 'n' Buttermilk Dumplings Recipe
- 1 stewing chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, combine first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; skim foam from broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, debone and dice. Strain broth, reserving broth and vegetables.
- 2. In the same pot, melt butter. Stir in flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in 6 cups reserved broth (save remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, reserved vegetables and chicken. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to simmer.
- 3. For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Combine eggs, buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients to form a stiff batter.
- 4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering mixture. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 614 calories, 32 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 201 mg cholesterol, 1,059 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.