- 1 stewing chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, combine first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; skim foam from broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, debone and dice. Strain broth, reserving broth and vegetables.
- In the same pot, melt butter. Stir in flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in 6 cups reserved broth (save remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, reserved vegetables and chicken. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to simmer.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Combine eggs, buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients to form a stiff batter.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering mixture. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Chicken 'n' Buttermilk Dumplings
"This was my first attempt at making chicken and dumplings. This couldn't be easier and sooo good. Would definitely feed a crowd. I didn't have half-and-half cream so I used evaporated milk."
"Leave out the sugar from the dumpling mix..the aromatics add enough sweetness...use unsalted butter...make the broth simple: onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, carrot, course salt and water. The 5 stars are for the dumplings, minus the sugar!"
"Easy to follow directions. Takes a little time to cook the chicken but the rest of the recipe is quick and easy. So delicious!"
"This was very good. I skipped the butter and half and half cream for the broth and just added the dumlings and it was still creamy and wonderful! Much less calorie content and still comforting to eat!"
"Followed recipe exactly, and this dish was out of this world delicious. comfort food at its best!!"