Mom's Celery Seed Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, brown sugar, celery seed, pepper, salt, cumin and Liquid Smoke. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in 4 cups cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice brisket across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup gravy equals 262 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.