- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, brown sugar, celery seed, pepper, salt, cumin and Liquid Smoke. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in 4 cups cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice brisket across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Celery Seed Brisket
Sort By :
"I flollowed recipe exactly. My husband and I both thought it was very bland. A waste of a brisket. I threw away the sauce, doctored up the leftovers and had French dips the 2nd night."
"The brisket seemed kind of expensive but it was well worth it. Meat was very tender and the tomato beef gravy over the top of it was out of this world. Delicious with a capital D. Made a ton of gravy compared to the amount of meat I had though. Will definitely make this again! Followed the recipe exactly and I wouldn't change a thing."
"This was really good. I didn't have a brisket in the freezer so I used a round roast - and fire roasted diced tomatoes in lieu of Italian crushed. There were absolutely NO leftovers - big hit with the family."