For years I looked for the perfect brown bread recipe—one that tasted just like the bread we enjoyed as children. My searching paid off when I found this recipe. Now it isn't a holiday celebration without Mom's Brown Bread!
Featured In: 5-Ingredient Bread Recipes
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the raisins and butter; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, vanilla and salt; stir into raisin mixture.
- Grease three 16-oz. vegetable or fruit cans. Divide batter between cans and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until breads test done. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cans. If necessary, remove bottom of cans and push breads through. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 3 loaves.
Originally published as Mom's Brown Bread in Reminisce November/December 1991, p37
Reviews for Mom's Brown Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2010
"I have meant to make these bread loaves for years, but didn't until this weekend when I was making baked beans. My grandson helped me and we had fun. The bread is wonderful."