- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the raisins and butter; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, vanilla and salt; stir into raisin mixture.
- Grease three 16-oz. vegetable or fruit cans. Divide batter between cans and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until breads test done. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cans. If necessary, remove bottom of cans and push breads through. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 3 loaves.
Originally published as Mom's Brown Bread in Reminisce November/December 1991, p37
Reviews for Mom's Brown Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2010
"I have meant to make these bread loaves for years, but didn't until this weekend when I was making baked beans. My grandson helped me and we had fun. The bread is wonderful."