- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Drizzle top of loaf with ketchup; bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Best Meat Loaf
"So savory! Next time I'll omit the allspice and sugar, but overall a great recipe."
"Really good recipe! A nice change from the normal meatloaf! Should have doubled the recipe for leftovers :)"
"This is the best meatloaf I've ever had. I've been making this for a few years now, family loves it. Instead of using ketchup on top, I use a small can of tomato sauce, 1 TBL of brown sugar, and 1/12 tsps of lemon juice."
"Our favorite meatloaf..I am not a meat loaf lover and have tried so many different recipes to find one I like too. This did it for me.I topped mine with hot bbq sauce with a touch of mustard in it though instead of ketchup."
"I've used this recipe for a few years myself and I always get rave reviews from friends and family whenever I make it. Best meatloaf recipe in my mind."
"This is a good and unique tasting meatloaf, but I am going to keep searching."
"Very good. We all love it."
"I have been using this recipe for several years. I LOVE IT! No one else's meatloaf ever compares and when I tell people what is in it they think I'm crazy until they try it. I have shared this with so many wives and new brides!"
"My family & I love this meat loaf. The first time I made it was in 1995 & I have made it many times since then. I double the recipe & freeze one. It is the best. Pastagrammie."
"This is one of those "keeper" recipes that you keep making over and over again and you never look for any other and somewho it becomes well known as "your" best meat loaf."