- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Additional ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Drizzle top of loaf with ketchup; bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Best Meat Loaf
"Really good recipe! A nice change from the normal meatloaf! Should have doubled the recipe for leftovers :)"
"This is the best meatloaf I've ever had. I've been making this for a few years now, family loves it. Instead of using ketchup on top, I use a small can of tomato sauce, 1 TBL of brown sugar, and 1/12 tsps of lemon juice."
"Our favorite meatloaf..I am not a meat loaf lover and have tried so many different recipes to find one I like too. This did it for me.I topped mine with hot bbq sauce with a touch of mustard in it though instead of ketchup."
"I've used this recipe for a few years myself and I always get rave reviews from friends and family whenever I make it. Best meatloaf recipe in my mind."
"This is a good and unique tasting meatloaf, but I am going to keep searching."