Mom's Best Hot Cross Buns
I found the handwritten copy of this recipe tucked inside one of my mother's old cookbooks. As a young girl, I used to help her make these buns.
12 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in milk. Let
- stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, raisins, egg, salt and
- remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a
- soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12