Mom's Best Hot Cross Buns Recipe
I found the handwritten copy of this recipe tucked inside one of my mother's old cookbooks. As a young girl, I used to help her make these buns.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, raisins, egg, salt and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 portions. Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 5. For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a piping consistency. Pipe an "X" on top of each bun. Yield: 1 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC