- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, raisins, egg, salt and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 portions. Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a piping consistency. Pipe an "X" on top of each bun. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Best Hot Cross Buns
"These were okay, good flavour but could have used a lot more raisins - would double the amount. They were dry and not very tender by the day after making them."
"easy, delicious. I also added 1/4 cup ground flax in place of flour and they were still light. I tried cranberries in one batch instead of raisins and they were great too. They work equally well in bread machine on dough cycle as they do with my mixer and dough hook. Will DEFINITElY make these again and again! I found they only needed 22 minutes for a nice brown roll."
"These are really good! So moist and delicious."
"These 5 stars go with the previous rating! My mother just asked for the recipe as well."
"I made these for Good Friday and Easter. They are fabulous! easy to make and delicious! I am making them again this weekend just because! I adapted the recipe for my breadmakeer and used craisins instead of raisins. Delicious!"
"A crucial word left out in the recipe...in first paragraph...add enough FLOUR to form a soft dough. Great recipe!!!! Delicious!!! Thank you!!!"