- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples, pressing down to smooth top.
- Slowly pour water over the top; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Apple Crisp
Sort By :
Made this for a luncheon and it got all raves. It was autumn at the time, so I used apple cider for half of the water, worked perfectly.
My family loved this it turned out great how ever I would put a pan under it it boiled over and set my smoke alarms off. I had to turn it off clean the oven then put it back in and finish cooking it. How ever my family loved it and it was gone fast.
I modified the recipe using enough apples for a 9x13 pan. I increased he topping by one half. It was enough to cover. Very good!