- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples, pressing down to smooth top.
- Slowly pour water over the top; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Apple Crisp
Sort By :
"Made this for a luncheon and it got all raves. It was autumn at the time, so I used apple cider for half of the water, worked perfectly."
"My family loved this it turned out great how ever I would put a pan under it it boiled over and set my smoke alarms off. I had to turn it off clean the oven then put it back in and finish cooking it. How ever my family loved it and it was gone fast."
"I modified the recipe using enough apples for a 9x13 pan. I increased he topping by one half. It was enough to cover. Very good!"