The recipe for Mom's coffee cake goes back more than 50 years. Perfect for special occasions, the nut-filled ring is so pretty and has such wonderful flavor.—Arlene Murphy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped almonds
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Combine the almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread butter over rectangles to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with almond mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Place each portion seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-1/2-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over rings. Yield: 2 rings (10 slices each).
Originally published as Mom's Almond-Filled Coffee Rings in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p150
Reviews for Mom's Almond-Filled Coffee Rings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review