Molly's Sweet and Spicy Tzimmes Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes, wine, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, orange peel, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices; gradually beat into sweet potato mixture. Gently fold in apple, cranberries, carrots and raisins.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Molly's Sweet and Spicy Tzimmes Cake
Sort By :
"I am not Jewish but this is the most wonderful cake I have made in a while I think I could make this part of my Thanksgiving and Christmas tradition"
"I prepared this cake 10/25/13 for the first time! I used orange juice instead of the white wine and I used 1 Tbsp. GROUND NAVEL ORANGE instead of the grated orange peel! I've been doing that with a # of recipes calling for grated orange peel. TO ME: I've found that the orange flavor comes through better than using grated orange peel! I did keep the dry ingredients: sugar, flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, salt, the same! I DID use: a total 1/2 cup combination of candied fruit and regular raisins with 1/8 cup all-purpose flour to prevent the mixture from sinking to bottom of cake! I used a 5 oz. package of Craisins, too & kept the sweet potatoes and shredded carrots as is: I'd bought canned cut yams in syrup, drained the potatoes and used a potato masher! That worked for me! I also baked cake for 45 minutes at 350o F. Molly, I thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I also have a Jewish heritage-my late father was Jewish. My youngest sister & her family observe the Jewish holidays (Pesach, Rosh Hashanah & Hanukkah) & my mother & I attend the get-togethers! I like having the best of both worlds! I'm looking forward to taking my cake to share at our congregation (we meet Sundays)!"