Molly's Sweet and Spicy Tzimmes Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes, wine, lemon juice and vanilla.
- 3. In another bowl, whisk flour, orange peel, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices; gradually beat into sweet potato mixture. Gently fold in apple, cranberries, carrots and raisins.
- 4. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 309 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Molly's Sweet and Spicy Tzimmes Cake
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.