- peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon; process until finely ground. Set
- In a skillet, cook the almonds, pumpkin seeds and garlic in 4
- tablespoons shortening until lightly browned, stirring often. Add
- raisins; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until raisins are plump.
- Add bread cubes; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until crisp. Drain
- In a blender, combine 1 cup broth and reserved tomatoes; cover and
- puree. Add seasoning mixture, raisin mixture and 1 cup broth; blend
- until very thick. Pour into a bowl; set aside.
- Place 1-1/2 cups broth in blender. Add peppers, one at a time;
- process to a thick consistency. In a Dutch oven, melt remaining
- shortening over medium heat. Add pepper mixture; cook and stir for
- 10 minutes. Add tomato mixture; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or
- until thickened. Add the chocolate, salt and remaining broth.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until mixture reaches desired
- consistency. Serve with poultry. Yield: 8-1/2 cups.
Editor's Note: When handling chilies, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face.