Molded Cranberry Salad
"THERE WAS always a cranberry salad on our holiday table#151;Mother made it with fresh raw cranberries. I was delighted when she would ask me to help grind the cranberries in her old food grinder...I could go on turning its crank forever. How I loved hearing the cranberries pop as they passed through!"
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 8 cups fresh cranberries
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 cups diced apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Leaf lettuce and mayonnaise for garnish
- Finely grind the cranberries in a food chopper. Add sugar and mix
- thoroughly. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If using
- frozen berries, let them stand until the mixture is at room
- temperature.) Place the gelatin and orange juice in the top of a
- double boiler; stir over hot water until gelatin is dissolved. Add
- to cranberries along with apples and nuts; place in a 7-cup mold
- that has been rinsed in cold water. Chill until set. Unmold onto
- leaf lettuce. Garnish with mayonnaise. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 275 calories, 6 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.