Molded Cranberry-Orange Salad Recipe
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 3 cups (12 ounces) fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, divided
- 2 medium apples, cut into wedges
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1. Sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water; let stand 1 minute. Add boiling water and raspberry gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining cold water. Refrigerate until thickened, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Pulse 2-1/3 cups cranberries, apples and orange in a food processor until chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in sugar. Stir fruit mixture into thickened gelatin. Fold in walnuts, celery and remaining whole cranberries.
- 3. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan, an 8-cup ring mold or two 4-cup molds with cooking spray; pour in gelatin mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until firm. Unmold onto a platter. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Molded Cranberry-Orange Salad
"I've made this twice this year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love it! I pour mine into a 9x13 glass dish - works great! Love the orange and cranberry and I have also used cranberry jello with excellent results!"
"You don't need to special pan. A cake pan, a bread pan, anything you have in your cupboard will do. You don't even need to turn it out if you don't want to."
"waaaaaa I don't have a pan like this?"
"This is the way Taste of Home prepared my recipe. To make it the way my family has eaten it for over 60 years, grind the fruits to make a cranberry relish using all the cranberries, 3 whole oranges, 2 unpeeled apples and 2 c. sugar. Let sit overnight. Use 1 1/2 c. relish to make the salad. You should have no problem unmolding it. For fun I put it in a foil Christmas tree pan."
"I made this recipe for the first time on 6/22/13! I think it's an excellent recipe! I DID make some SLIGHT adjustments: I left the Navel orange unpeeled! I also left the apples unpeeled, but cut them in wedges & I did omit the celery. I used 1-1/2 cups boiling water & 1 Tbsp. plus 1/2 cup COLDwater when I prepared this salad. I likened this salad to taste somewhat like cranberry-orange relish! I prepared it for a luncheon which our chapel hosted 6/23/13.There wasn't much left! The kitchen duty folks left the mold in the Bundt pan and served it with a cake server! They didn't turn it out of the pan. But it was enjoyed and Carol Mead, thank you for sharing this recipe! DELowenstein"
"I made this for Thanksgiving and I thought it was great. I do think it needs more gelatin so I am trying a full pack of the unflavored gelatin for my Christmas batch. I also leave out the nuts."
"I just made this recently and though I did not eat it, it earned rave reviews. It is very pretty and a quick put together! I'll surely put this in my pile of 'repeats'! UPDATE: I made this for Christmas and everyone loved it; it is very refreshing! As a result, I changed my rating from a 4 to a 5!"
"Love it! Making it again today."
"I have not tasted it yet. I made it for Thanksgiving. However, I don't think the gel (Jell-0) amount in the recipe is correct. Mine had lots of fruit and very little jell.Is the 3 oz correct or should it be the large package.?Thanks, Birte Harley"