Molasses Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar and molasses. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger; add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until tops are cracked and edges are set. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 each: 143 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Molasses Sugar Cookies
"I make these often when I want a yummy alternative to the usual chocolate chip, oatmeal or peanut butter cookie recipe. They are easy to make and always turn out perfectly. I am not a fan of the cloves so I lessen the amount while adding a dash of nutmeg. I roll the balls of dough in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar as you do for snickerdoodles, so good. Great all year 'round, but a lovely inclusion to the Christmas cookie tray!"
"Delicious chewy cookie! Perfect molasses cookie."
"These are a fantastic cookie!"
"What a cookie! We love molasses cookies, ginger snaps and sugar cookies. This is a beautiful partnering of all of them. Out of the oven they were soft and had the refined texture of a soft sugar cookie. A day later they had a little more snappiness of a ginger snap. Great taste. As a volunteer food editor for ToH I followed directions exactly. I was very worried the dough was too soft. However they ended up being perfect!"
"These cookies have a perfect balance of gingerbread flavor without being too strong or overpowering."
"These cookies turned out wonderful!! If you like/love the flavor of gingerbread, then you will absolutely love this cookie. I had many compliments on these when I made them and took them to a sporting event."
"Definately will make again"
"LOVE these cookies! Perfect every time!"
"This were really good,easy to make.I would give it 10 stars if I could. Everyone loved them."
"These cookies came out just like in the photograph. They have the perfect molasses flavor."
"These are the best cookies!!! Crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, everyone that has tried these LOVES them."
"These cookies are really good and my dh said that they are a keeper. Kitchenhelperky"
"wow, easy and delicious."