- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar and molasses. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger; add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until tops are cracked and edges are set. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Molasses Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"What a cookie! We love molasses cookies, ginger snaps and sugar cookies. This is a beautiful partnering of all of them. Out of the oven they were soft and had the refined texture of a soft sugar cookie. A day later they had a little more snappiness of a ginger snap. Great taste. As a volunteer food editor for ToH I followed directions exactly. I was very worried the dough was too soft. However they ended up being perfect!"
"These cookies have a perfect balance of gingerbread flavor without being too strong or overpowering."
"These cookies turned out wonderful!! If you like/love the flavor of gingerbread, then you will absolutely love this cookie. I had many compliments on these when I made them and took them to a sporting event."
"Definately will make again"
"LOVE these cookies! Perfect every time!"