Molasses Spice Cookies
Many readers wrote in asking how to make the molasses cookies pictured with Marie Fletcher's sorghum memories in the Sept/Oct issue. Here is her recipe:
30 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda,
- salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Gradually add to the creamed
- mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased
- baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the tops
- crack. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 113 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.