This recipe has been in my personal collection for 30 years. The spice flavors are nicely balanced, and the molasses and coffee make it dark and moist. You can use either instant coffee with 1 cup boiling water or brewed coffee in this sheet cake. —Dawn Lowenstein, Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Classic Cake Recipes Made from Scratch
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee, beating well after each addition. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For icing, beat butter and vanilla until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cake. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Molasses Spice Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p124