Molasses Oatmeal Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Molasses Oatmeal Chip Cookies(10)
Sort By :
I agree with everyone else that these are delicious. I'm not a big fan of molasses and when I was tasted the raw dough, I was a bit uncertain as to whether or not I'd like the finished product. But once baked, the molasses flavor is very subtle and gives the cookie that feeling of, "What's in this cookie that makes it different from other chocolate chip cookies?" The only thing I'd do differently is slightly flatten the cookies before baking. I rolled them into balls as instructed and when they were baked, they were mounded in the middle and flat on the edges. Still delicious, just not as eye-appealing.
I got more than 18 cookies from the recipe...I'd would rather have smaller cookies. Mine turned out quite soft...were they supposed to?
These were so, so yummy! My whole family loved them!
First time we tried them, they reminded me of my favorite oatmeal sandwich cookie, but better. I sometimes substitute raisins or craisins with white chocolate chips. Yum!
This is definitely a favorite! It's very satisfying and the cinnamon and molasses really make it wonderful!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Budget Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >