Molasses Oat Bread Recipe
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the molasses, sugar, oil and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally. Stir in yeast. Add 8 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down and divide into thirds; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 0g sugar total.
Reviews for Molasses Oat Bread
"We love this bread. I give it as gifts at Christmastime. People really like it. It freezes well."
"This is very good bread and I?ll make it again. Be aware, however, it does make three loaves. So make sure you have plenty of help eating it! Once they taste it, you?ll have no problem finding volunteers."
"Leftovers are so good, toasted and with butter and honey spread on top."
"This is the best bread I've ever eaten. I modified to make 2 loaves, and one was gone as soon as it left the oven."