Molasses Herb Casserole Bread Recipe
A friend of my mother's gave her the recipe for this crusty round loaf that I now bake for my family. It goes great with winter stews and soups ... and we love the hint of molasses.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 3-1/3 to 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, salt and oregano. In a saucepan, heat the milk, molasses, butter and onion to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until combined. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Place in a grease 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 186 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC