- 3-1/3 to 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, salt and oregano. In a saucepan, heat the milk, molasses, butter and onion to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until combined. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Place in a grease 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Molasses Herb Casserole Bread
Sort By :
"This recipe looked easy as well as tasty, so I thought I would give it a try. The flavor is very unique, and the hint of molasses is not overpowering, which I have found to be the case in other bread recipes I have tried that had molasses in them. I found that the second rise took only about a half hour for me, and I only baked it 25 minutes. I brushed the top with a little canola oil when it was done baking. Also, I used 1 cup water and 1/4 cup milk in place of the 1 1/4 cups milk, and also substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour in the first part of the recipe. Very good!"