- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with foil. Grease foil with 1/2 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- Grease the sides of a large heavy saucepan with 1/2 teaspoon butter. Add the sugars, cream, molasses and spices. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring often.
- Remove from the heat. Add vanilla and remaining butter (do not stir). Cool, without stirring, to 110°, about 55 minutes.
- Remove thermometer; beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture begins to thicken; add walnuts. Beat until fudge is very thick and mixture begins to lose its gloss, about 10 minutes.
- Quickly pour into prepared pan. While warm, score into 1-in. squares. When fudge is firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan; cut into squares. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Molasses Fudge in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p70
Reviews for Molasses Fudge
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review