Molasses Cutouts Recipe
Suggests Deb Anderson of Joplin, Missouri, "You'll have fun decorating these spicy cutouts. They really stand out."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:36-0 servings
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Optional decorations: confectioners' sugar icing, colored sugar, sprinkles and nonpareils
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, ginger and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 167 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC