- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground white pepper, cardamom and coriander
- 3/4 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, egg and ginger. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, cayenne, salt, nutmeg, white pepper, cardamom and coriander; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1/2-in. balls; roll in turbinado sugar. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Molasses Cookies with a Kick
Sort By :
"The best molasses/ginger cookie I've ever eaten. This cookie bites back."
"These are awesome. I'm terrible at making cookies and theses always turn out."
"This was a BIG hit in our house! I swapped out 1/4 cup flour with ground flax seeds. You'd never know. Plus I used white whole wheat flour in place of white flour. One other thing to remember was to flatten with your palm the cookies before they go in the oven. YUMMMO!"
"We've been making this cookie quite often since it was published in Dec 2010. It is a huge success with our family. I do leave out the cayanne for our little ones, but it still is wonderful, I use all the other spices. It is awesome."
"A good oldfashioned basic cookie. I didn't have fresh ginger so substituted ground ginger. These still had a good zing. Mine were a slight touch chewy rather than crispy like a gingersnap, but I liked them that way."