Molasses Cookies with a Kick Recipe
This is a combination of spices that I have used for a long time. It's also one of my mother's favorite cookies. I get requests from her to make them year-round! —Tamara Rau, Medina, North Dakota
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground white pepper, cardamom and coriander
- 3/4 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, egg and ginger. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, cayenne, salt, nutmeg, white pepper, cardamom and coriander; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll into 1/2-in. balls; roll in turbinado sugar. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 dozen.
1 cookie equals 41 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC