- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 5 quarts water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke or barbecue sauce
- Place beans and 2-1/2 qts. water in a 6-qt. Dutch oven; bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; return to pan with remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Return beans to pan; add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beans reach desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if too thick. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Molasses Baked Beans
Sort By :
"I made it in a crock pot, added ham steak, used pinto instead of navy beans, and left out the liquid smoke. It was really good, but I prefer my baked beans to be more sweet than savory--reducing the ketchup to 1 cup would fix this no problem.Even my husband, who hates beans, loved this."
"Best beans ever. Taste even better next day & freeze well!"