Mojito Pulled Pork Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons each ground cumin, paprika and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 16 sandwich buns, split
- Barbecue sauce
- 1. Cut roast in half. Combine the salt, oregano, cumin, paprika and pepper; rub over pork. Place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Mince cilantro to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Trim remaining cilantro, discarding stems. Add the whole cilantro leaves, onions, chilies and garlic to the slow cooker. Combine the broth, orange juice and lime juice; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 3 cups juices. Discard remaining juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker. Stir in minced cilantro and reserved cooking juices; heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup meat onto each bun. Serve with barbecue sauce. Yield: 16 servings.
1 bun with 1/2 cup pork mixture (calculated without barbecue sauce) equals 418 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 916 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 starch.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.