The name of this recipe says it all—except how delicious they are for scooping up that last drop of soups and stews! —Katherine Thompson, Tybee Island, Georgia
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, flax, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the corn, 1 cup cheese and pepper.
- Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Moist Mexican Corn Bread in Healthy Cooking December/January 2012, p47
Reviews for Moist Red Pepper Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review