Moist Pumpkin Pound Cake Recipe
The butter-rum sauce is a delicious complement to this pretty pumpkin cake.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, allspice and ginger; add to the creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and extract. Serve warm with cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 462 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC