Tasty mushrooms and onions complement the big herb flavor in this stuffing from Ruth Ann Stelfox, Alberta. "This dressing stays so moist when cooked this way," she comments.
Recommended: 16 Traditional Thanksgiving Recipes
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 13 cups)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth or 14-1/2 ounces vegetable broth
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, onions and parsley in butter until the vegetables are tender. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with salt, sage, poultry seasoning, thyme and pepper. Add the mushroom mixture. Combine eggs and broth; add to the bread mixture and toss.
- Transfer to 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Moist Poultry Dressing in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p44
Reviews for Moist Poultry Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2015
"Love making this for the hoildays!!!! all the family loves this!!!"
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2009
"I have been making this wonderful dish ever since the recipe came out. My family and guests always compliment this tasty dressing! -Lori in WI."