Tasty mushrooms and onions complement the big herb flavor in this stuffing from Ruth Ann Stelfox, Alberta. "This dressing stays so moist when cooked this way," she comments.
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 13 cups)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth or 14-1/2 ounces vegetable broth
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, onions and parsley in butter until the vegetables are tender. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with salt, sage, poultry seasoning, thyme and pepper. Add the mushroom mixture. Combine eggs and broth; add to the bread mixture and toss.
- Transfer to 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Moist Poultry Dressing in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p44
Reviews for Moist Poultry Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review